top of page
  • Writer's pictureRoberds Pharmacy

COVID-19: Children are Still at Risk of Infectious Disease - New Research!

A new study has just been published in the journal PEDIATRICS of the American Academy of Pediatrics. - This study was conducted in China with statistics on the influence of COVID-19 on children - Until now, this is still one of the studies with the most children affected by COVID-19, so there are a few things that we need to keep in mind.

INFORMATION: - This study has 2143 children - 731 children (34.1%) officially tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 through testing. - 1412 remaining children (65.9%) were suspected Sars-Cov-2 infection through X-rays, blood tests, the symptoms they had and whether they were in contact with the sick or not.

RESULT - About 51% of 2143 have mild symptoms such as fever, fatigue, cough, stuffy nose, dizziness or diarrhea - 39% have more severe symptoms such as lung problems such as pneumonia ... but not short of breath/shortness of breath - About 4% have no symptoms - 6% of children are in critical condition, have problems such as organ failure, impaired respiratory system ... 60% of these children are younger than 5 years old, 40% are infants less than 12 years old month - The researchers said that the critical situation belongs to the group of newborn babies and preschool age probably because their respiratory organs are too weak. These numbers compared to the total worldwide may be a small number. However, according to our opinion, it is still better for parents to be alert. Equip yourself with the knowledge to miss in case the fever we know how to handle.

NOTEWORTHY - Currently, there is a misconception that children are immune to SARS-CoV-2. This concept is FALSE. - Everyone can be infected with Sars-Cov-2 virus including children, but children have fewer symptoms and recover faster. However, children can carry the virus in their body and pass it on to adults if coughing, sneezing, etc. in adults. - Newborns and preschoolers may still be at greater risk of getting worse. During this time, parents should limit/keep their distance when their children are in contact with grandparents and other elderly people to limit the spread of disease.  If mothers are breastfeeding or taking care of small children, be aware - Do not let your saliva splash on you - Wash your hands before and after caring for children - Clean frequently used places while caring for children

IF THE CHILD'S FEED IS THIS TIME, WHAT IS THE MEDICINE USED FOR? - Please contact the doctor immediately. In the meantime, save the dose below to help your child reduce fever. - Note to use the medicine ACETAMINOPHEN, also known as Tylenol, APAP, Paracetamol during this time - Absolutely NOT use ASPIRIN to reduce fever for children. Very dangerous if the child is allergic. - For babies, pediatricians often give parents the dose of medicine to use for their children when needed.

ACETAMINOPHEN DOSING UNDER 6 MONTHS - It is advisable to have a dose prescribed by your doctor so that you can use it when needed. This dose is calculated based on the child's weight and age - When seeing a doctor for children at the period of 1 month, 3 months ... please note the doctor this dose. If it is urgent, and the doctor has not been contacted, this formula can be used to calculate the dose to reduce fever for children as quickly as possible: * Take 10-15mg / kg every 6-8 hours as needed * At most 60mg / kg per day. (1kg = 2.2 lbs)

FROM 6 MONTHS - 11 YEARS OLD - Take 10-15mg / kg every 4-6 hours as needed. - At most 75mg / kg per day. - Not more than 1 gram every 4 hours and 4 grams per day.

FROM 12-18 YEARS OLD - Take 325-650mg every 4-6 hours as needed - At most 1 gram every 4 hours and 4 grams per day.

You should discuss directly with your doctor or pharmacist about fever medications if you still have questions. Stay healthy and be safe!

The purpose of this article is to write to you as a parent to take care of your children. Not to be frightening. Be alert and don't panic

19 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Niacinamide: effective anti-aging supplement

If you look at the ingredients in your current moisturizer, don’t be surprised to find “niacinamide” listed. Not to be confused with niacin, it’s a different form of vitamin B3 that is often included

The rising rate of Obesity

In February 2020, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention presented data on obesity rates in the United States. The results showed a startling 42.4% of adults are obese. In additional 31.8% were


bottom of page